One time, I didn’t post on here for days and days right before I’m about to leave.

So what’s been happening? Well, to begin with…

1) I went on my hike. It was 10.5 miles total, a hike in the area of Rocky Knob. Let me just say that the hike itself was absolutely gorgeous. It also gave me a new idea of how horrid it is going to be to carry my whole life on my back, but that is a bit beside the point.

We started our voyage at the top of a ridge and hiked down the mountainside into a deep gorge, which was the home of a swift flowing stream. Following the stream in the gathering dusk was a truly relaxing experience, pack or no pack. The campground for this particular trail is right next to said stream, so we set up camp (in the dark, we timed it wrong) and proceeded to pass out. It was just as gorgeous in the morning, but this time we had to go back up the mountain, which was a little more intimidating. I’ll be honest, I wimped out part of the way up. My phenomenal and amazing lover took some of the weight out of my pack and helped me recover from my faintness by force-feeding me bananas and trailmix, so it was all good. The whole hike took about 22 hours, counting sleeping time and such, and it was a truly lovely 22 hours if I do say so myself. I’ll put up a few pics after I finish this post.

2) I moved out of my apartment.  The real reason I haven’t posted anything on here at all for days has been because I have been in the process of putting my entire life into boxes. This is, as can be imagined, a pretty intense task. It’s the first time I’ve attempted to move from such a large living space, and I had accumulated a LOT of stuff. I don’t even know where I actually ended up packing half of it, but it has all been successfully transferred to my friend Gregory’s basement. Thank goodness for Gregory.

Packing up my house took place over a period of about five days total. It was miserable. And hot. And miserable. But damnit, it’s done! Now all that remains is cleaning. Also, I broke my pack in transit. I did this by closing a buckle in the trunk of my car, therefore shattering a piece of said buckle. Optimally done it was not. But Osprey being the awesome people they are, they are sending me a new buckle. If for no other reason that this particular experience, I’m feeling pretty jazzed about buying future gear from them. Here’s to hoping it comes in time.

3) Lastly, I made a reservation for the hotel I’m staying in right after I get off the plane, on the theory I will need to rest and have some down time. It’s only a ten minute shuttle ride from the airport and is pretty cheap considering that it has a private bath and stuff. I’ve found in my searching for hotels that having a private bath is apparently a big deal in a lot of Japanese hotels. Or maybe I’ve just been looking more in hostels because I’m cheap. I’m sure I will be able to attest to that more thoroughly at a future date.

I also sat down and plotted out how to get from the airport to the hotel, and then how to get from the hotel back to the airport and THEN how to get from the airport to my friend Victoria’s house, where I’ll be staying the first week. She lives in Saitama, and the closest major train station to her is like a two hour walk away, so I will be taking a tiny local train to a nearer stop, which will only be about five minutes from her house. After that I really don’t know where I will be going because according to Google Maps her apartment doesn’t exist. Whatever. We’ll work something out hopefully. Or else I’ll be walking around town being like “LEOPALACE?” “LEOPALACE SUMIMASEN” like a crazy foreigner.

So, that’s my update in one giant post. Pictures to follow!

Over and out, amigos!